Powered By Blogger

Arizona Growers

Arizona Growers
Click here for local produce information

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Pure Vanilla Extract

I love real vanilla, in fact in baking my motto is "why use 1 t of Vanilla when I can use 2"! However good Vanilla is very expensive and in my house goes fast, so I found out how to make it myself. Here's the easy recipe.

1 large bottle of Vodka
3-5 real Vanilla beans (I use Organic)

Split vanilla beans down the center to release the vanilla. Add beans to vodka and seal. You will need about 6 weeks time to cure the vanilla into extract, so store in dark dry place during cure time.

After vanilla is done, you can transfer it to a smaller glass bottle if desired. You will notice that most pure vanilla extract is packaged in dark glass bottles, this is to prevent sun/light exposure. I recommend a dark glass bottle if you can find it.

Color and consistency will not be the same as commercial products but the flavor can not be beat.

More Vodka can be added to use same process to create one more batch of extract, adding 1-2 more beans for a fuller flavor.

Beans are approximately $3-5 per bean, here is where the expense lies, but when you compare it to the amount this recipe yields to the cost of retail Vanilla, it wins in the savings department!

No comments:

What's In Season... eat fresh, save money and support our local growers!